Tuesday 25 March 2014

Cruising to Tokyo, Japan - February 23, 24 & 25, 2014

+Azamara Club Cruises distinguishes itself from its competitors by its focus on destination immersion. They really mean it! After five straight days in port in three countries, two days at sea were very relaxing.

I can summarize those two days by saying that I slept, swam, ate, walked around on deck then ate again. The sea was gorgeous, the sun was bright but it was a bit chilly. Simply by sitting in the public areas doing my crocheting, it was easy to meet many friendly people.

Just look at these samples of comfy chairs where my bum rested! 
Azamara Journey - Deck 5 twixt the Mosaic Café and the shops
Azamara Journey - Deck 5 forward starboard, under the tenders

Azamara Journey - Deck 9 in the Windows Café

Azamara Journey - Deck 4 near Guest Relations

Azamara Journey - Deck 9 early morning by the pool
An important part of Azamara's destination immersion strategy is to provide overnight stays in certain ports of call. This really enhances a visit. I mean really, how can you honestly say "Oh, yes, I've been to such and such a place…" when you were only there from 10 am to 5 pm? Experiencing the local way of life is the highlight of any travel experience and a lot of that life happens after most cruise ships push off!

Before leaving home, I decided to stay off the ship someplace in Japan overnight. It was fun doing all the research and planning. First, I familiarized myself with the features, locations and prices of various kinds of accommodation around Tokyo & Osaka. There were capsule hotels for only $30 per night and luxury hotels for $900+ per night!

Using +Expedia , the best deal was a one-night stay at a traditional Japanese inn called a ryokan. It was located two hours out of Tokyo by train in a hot-spring resort called Gora and included a complimentary drink upon arrival, dinner and breakfast the next day all for a comparatively reasonable $400.

I packed my bag the night before arriving in Tokyo and set out the clothes I would wear. It was important that I looked put-together and comfortable for the trip. I must have woken up every hour on the hour that night.

Finally, by 5:30 am, I went up to watch us approach the port. Let me just say that it was very emotional for me. For years, I have loved Japanese culture, food and language. Here, was the culmination of all of that passion being realized...underscored by the Japanese drummers welcoming the ship. Tokyo. Edo. The source of it all spread out before me.

The following videos are just to show the escalation of my excitement that morning. I realize that the quality is lousy and my commentary is boring, at best. The approach to Tokyo was beautiful and these clips don't do it justice at all.




 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback!